German Chocolate Cake Brownies
Don’t let the lighter taste of German chocolate cake fool you. These brownies are rich and delicious by anyone’s standards.
Serves: 20Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 box (18.25 oz.) German chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄3 cup plus 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1 package (14 oz.) vanilla caramels
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine cake mix, nuts, 1⁄3 cup evaporated milk, and butter in a large bowl and mix well. Layer half of the batter into a 13-by-9-by-2-inch Pyrex dish.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Melt together caramels and remaining 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk in the top of a double boiler. Pour mixture over baked layer.
- Layer chocolate chips on top of caramel/milk mixture. Press remaining batter on top of the chocolate chip layer. Return to oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely in pan.