German Coffee Cake
This Bavarian treat often is served as a Sunday morning treat with strong black coffee.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 13-by-9-inch baking pan.
- Cream together the butter and 1 cup of the sugar thoroughly. Add the eggs, sour cream, vanilla, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and flour; beat well. Pour half the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Combine the remaining 1⁄4 cup sugar, the nuts, and cinnamon. Evenly sprinkle the nut mixture over the batter. Pour the remaining batter over the top, it is okay if some of the nut mixture shows through the batter.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.