German Potato Pancakes
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 5 medium white potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- Place the egg and half-and-half in the blender and blend on medium-high for 1 minute. Add the cubed potatoes, 1⁄2 cup at a time, and purée. Add the onion and blend the entire mixture one more minute on medium-high. Pour into a medium-sized bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a griddle or large cast-iron frying pan over medium heat, add the oil. (Griddle should be thinly coated with oil to avoid a greasy pancake.) Spoon batter onto the griddle in thin cakes (1⁄4 inch). Fry 2 to 3 minutes before turning (edges should be crispy). Brown the second side. Serve with sour cream.