German Potato Salad
This salad is very good plain, or you can add some chopped egg for a heartier meal. Or try adding marinated herring for a wildly tasty salad.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 lb. small red potatoes, halved
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. salt, divided
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 8 oz. bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. chopped dill
- 2 Tbsp. minced chives
- 2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- Place potatoes and 1 tablespoon of salt in a large saucepan. Add cold water to cover. Bring to a boil. Boil potatoes for about 20 minutes until soft.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and fry until crispy. Use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon and set aside. Add onion to the pan and sauté until the onions are soft and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add vinegar, remaining salt, and pepper.
- Drain the potatoes and transfer to a large bowl. Stir in bacon mixture, dill, chives, and parsley. Serve hot, cold, or at room temperature.