German Pulled Pork Sandwiches
These crowd-pleasing sandwiches are inspired by German Schweinebraten, a slow-roasted pork dish cooked with mustard and onions, then served with sauerkraut and potato dumplings.
Serves: 12Prep: 10 minutesCook: 7 hoursTotal: 7 hours 10 minutes
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 cup spicy brown mustard, plus more for serving
- 3 1/2 pounds Kroger Brand Pork Steak Ready Shoulder Butt, patted dry
- 12 potato rolls, toasted if desired
- 1 1/2 cups sauerkraut, drained
- Place onions and juice in the bottom of a 6-quart or larger slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper and garlic powder and set aside.
- Rub pork shoulder with mustard and spice blend. Place on top of onions.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until pork is tender.
- Shred meat with 2 forks and toss with onions and cooking liquid.
- Serve pork on potato rolls and top with sauerkraut and mustard, if desired.
- Refrigerate leftovers.