German-Style Potato Salad
Your friends will love this departure from ordinary potato dishes. Tart German potato salad, served warm, makes a wonderful foil for sausages or grilled meats of any kind.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 5 lbs. white potatoes
- 1 lb. bacon
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ⅔ cup white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 2 tsp. celery seeds
- Scrub potatoes and boil, unpeeled, until tender. Drain and set aside until cool enough to handle. Peel potatoes and slice thinly. Place in a large serving dish.
- In a large skillet, fry bacon until crisp. Drain and crumble.
- Add onion to bacon drippings and cook over medium heat until just softened.
- Combine flour, sugar, salt, and black pepper. Add vinegar and water, stirring until smooth. Pour mixture into skillet with bacon drippings and onion. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens slightly. Add crumbled bacon to the pan.
- Pour dressing over potatoes and toss to mix well. Stir in parsley and celery seeds.