Æggekage with Potatoes, Onions, and Gjetost
This Danish oven-baked pancake, or Æggekage is made with cubes of potatoes, shredded onions and sweet Norwegian gjetost cheese. Think of it as a Scandinavian frittata.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 8 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 tsp. caraway seed
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup gjetost cheese, grated
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 3 baked potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, grated
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, caraway seed, salt, and pepper. Stir in the cheese.
- In a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil and butter. Add the potatoes and shredded onion, and sauté, stirring often, for 10 minutes, or until onions are soft and translucent. Add the egg mixture and stir. Reduce heat to low and cook for 5 minutes.
- Adjust oven rack to the top position. Heat the broiler. Place skillet on the top rack and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until the top is evenly browned.
- Cut into wedges, and serve warm.