Ghostly Petite Cakes with Mallow Frosting
Adorably spooky, these little ghost cakes made from white cake mix and topped with a marshmallow frosting and mini chocolate chip eyes, are a fun Halloween activity for kids of all ages!
Serves: 25Prep: 30 minutesCook: 1 hour 30 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 1 package (15.25 oz.) moist supreme white cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups plus 2 Tbsp. water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 6 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow crème
- Mini chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 15”x10” jellyroll pan.
- For the cake, in a large bowl combine the mix, oil, 1¼ cup of water and 4 egg whites and beat on medium speed, stopping and scraping bowl once or twice, until mixture is well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once cool, freeze cake for 1 hour before cutting.
- Along 15” side, cut cake lengthwise into five (3”) wide strips. Using a sharp knife, mark and cut 5 ghost shaped cakes from each cake strip, then return cut cake to the freezer.
- For the frosting, in a double boiler over simmering water, beat the sugar, 2 Tbsp. of water and 2 egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Add the marshmallow crème and beat until stiff peaks form. Carefully remove from the heat.
- Remove petite cakes from the pan. Spread frosting over sides and top of each cake to resemble a ghost. Use mini chocolate chips for eyes and mouth.