Giant Soft Oatmeal Cookies
Makes: 18Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 3⁄4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 3 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening, brown sugar, and eggs until light and fluffy. Stir in the buttermilk. In another bowl, sift together the sifted flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir the flour mixture into the shortening mixture. Stir in the rolled oats, raisins, and chopped nuts.
- Scoop dough into 3-inch balls onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing them 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let cool slightly, then remove to racks to cool completely.