Ginger Butter Beets
Serve these beets with anything from beef to fish to risotto. Try the recipe with golden or Chioggia beets when available.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 16 baby beets, fresh
- 2 Tbsp. chopped red onion
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. grated fresh gingerroot
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground white pepper
- 2 Tbsp. chopped purple basil
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Wash beets, remove and discard greens; wrap beets in foil to form a packet. Bake for about 45 minutes, until the beets can be easily pierced with a knife.
- Let beets cool enough to handle and peel them. The outer skin should peel away easily with the help of a paring knife and your thumb. Dice peeled beets and set aside.
- Sauté onion in butter for a few minutes over medium heat. Add gingerroot and cook for a few minutes more.
- Add beets, salt, and pepper to the sauté pan. Cook over low heat until beets are hot. Stir in basil and serve immediately.