Ginger cookies are done when the tops start to crack in the oven. Once you see the cracking, pull them out and let them harden.
Makes: 20Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 3 Tbsp. margarine, melted
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Sift flour and ginger in a large bowl, then stir in sugar.
- Mix the vanilla, molasses, margarine, applesauce, and egg white in a medium bowl. Add wet ingredients to the dry and stir until well blended.
- Place dough in freezer until firm, about 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Shape firm dough into balls and drop onto a baking sheet. Bake 12 minutes and let cool.