Ginger-Flavored Chicken Curry
Use fresh, tender ginger for this recipe. Serve with naan bread or brown rice.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 4 hours 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. grated ginger
- 1 tsp. dried coriander
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- ½ tsp. red chili powder
- ¾ cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (6 oz. each), cut into 1" cubes
- ½ tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 cardamom pod
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup tomato purée
- In a large bowl or resealable plastic bag, stir together the ginger, coriander, curry powder, chili powder, yogurt, and 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Add the chicken and coat all pieces evenly with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 3-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the cumin seeds, cardamom, and bay leaf. When the seeds begin to sizzle, add the tomato purée.
- Cook the sauce over medium heat for about 3–4 minutes, then add the chicken and marinade to the pot with 1 cup of water. Bring the curry to a bare simmer, cover, and place in the oven.
- Bake the curry until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is somewhat thickened, 20–25 minutes. Remove the cardamom pod and bay leaf before serving.