Ginger Teriyaki Chicken
This chicken bowl is full of gingery flavor and freshness. It’s perfect for a quick Wednesday night dinner, or can be doubled or tripled for a dinner party. You can purchase your favorite teriyaki sauce, or pull together a homemade sauce in just a few minutes.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup dark soy sauce
- ½ cup plus 1 Tbsp. water, divided
- 3 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
- 1½ Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 tsp. rice wine
- ½ tsp. crushed red chili flakes
- 1 tsp. arrowroot powder
- 1 rotisserie chicken breast, sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- ½ cup pineapple chunks
- 1 medium scallion (white and green parts), thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. thinly shredded carrot
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add rice, and sauté for 1 minute. Add broth and bring to a rolling boil. Cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 15 minutes. Turn heat off and let steam for 15 minutes. Reserve.
- Place the soy sauce, ½ cup water, brown sugar, ginger, vinegar, rice wine, and crushed chili flakes in a small saucepan. Heat the mixture over medium heat, until it boils. In a small bowl, mix arrowroot with 1 tablespoon of water. Add to the sauce, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 7–10 minutes, or until thickened.
- Brush teriyaki sauce on sliced chicken. Place rice, chicken, red pepper slices, pineapple, scallions, and carrots in a large bowl.