Gingerbread Cake with Whipped Cream
This spiced dessert is the ultimate end to a festive season.
Serves: 9Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 firmly packed cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup light molasses
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 Tbsp. grated lemon zest
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease and flour an 8-inch square baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the brown sugar and butter. Mix in the molasses and baking soda. Add the flour, cinnamon, ginger, and zest. Mix well. Beat in the egg. Add the boiling water and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Smooth the top.
- Bake the gingerbread until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, approximately 40 minutes.
- While the gingerbread is cooling, whip the heavy cream with the granulated sugar into stiff peaks. Add a dollop of whipped cream before serving.