Gingerbread Carrot Cake
A combination of gingerbread and carrot cake is simply inspired. Two seasonal favorites combined make one spectacular dessert.
Serves: 20Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 package (16 oz.) baby carrots
- ¼ cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup honey
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- ⅔ cup orange juice
- 1 Tbsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. cloves
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 16 oz. cream cheese frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 13" x 9" pan with nonstick baking spray containing flour and set aside. Place carrots in food processor. Process until finely ground; remove half of the carrots to large bowl. Add the crystallized ginger to food processor; process until finely ground. Add to large bowl.
- Add granulated sugar, brown sugar, honey, oil, eggs, egg whites, and orange juice and mix well. Stir in ginger, cinnamon, cloves, salt, flours, baking powder, and baking soda and stir until combined. Spread in prepared pan.
- Bake for 45–55 minutes or until cake is dark golden brown and begins to pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Spread cooled cake with the cream cheese Frosting. Store leftovers covered at room temperature.