Gingerbread cookies are always a favorite at the holidays! This quick & fun recipe makes it easy to decorate your very own cookies.
Serves: 12Prep: 1 hourCook: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 10 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- White frosting, for decorating
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and brown sugar, until light and fluffy. On low speed, beat in molasses, vanilla, egg and water.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and allspice. Slowly beat into butter mixture. Divide dough in half and form into disks, then cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- On a floured surface, roll dough into 1/6” thick and use a cookie cutter to cut into shapes. Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- Decorate with white frosting, then allow frosting to harden.