A timeless holiday favorite, gingerbread cookies traditionally are soft, chewy and (of course!) irresistible. In this recipe, crispy rice cereal is added to the batter – and cookies are rolled in sugar before baking – for added crunch and sweetness. Watch how fast the cookie jar empties once these are tucked inside!
Serves: 24Prep: 5 minutesCook: 10 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cups Kellogg’s® Rice Krispies® cereal
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1⁄4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or butter, softened
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- In large bowl, combine cereal, flour, salt, baking soda and spices. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, use electric mixer on medium speed to beat together brown sugar and margarine until thoroughly combined. Add applesauce, molasses and egg whites; beat on low until smooth. Pour in cereal mixture and beat until combined. Place granulated sugar on plate. Drop dough by level tablespoon into sugar and roll to coat. Arrange cookies on baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
- Using bottom of measuring cup dipped in sugar, press down on each cookie until it measures about 2¼” in diameter.
- Bake at 375°F for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from baking sheets and cool on wire racks. Store in airtight container.