Invite your family or kids to help create and decorate these classic holiday treats for a fun and festive project.
Serves: 21Prep: 3 hours 30 minutesCook: 15 minutesTotal: 3 hours 45 minutes
- 1⁄2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 3 1⁄3 all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting work surfaces
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- In large bowl, beat butter with electric mixer until smooth. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy, 2 minutes. Add molasses, beat 1 minute. Add egg; beat 1 minute (mixture will curdle).
- In medium bowl, whisk together flour, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, baking soda and salt. Add to butter-sugar mixture; beat until soft dough forms.
- Transfer dough to sheet of plastic wrap; pat into rectangle. Refridgerate until firm, at least 3 hours, and up to 2 days.
- Preheat over to 350°F.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Divide dough into 4 parts. Keep ¾ of dough in refrigerator.
- On lightly floured surface, using lightly floured rolling pin, roll ¼ of dough to ⅛” thickness. Brush off excess flour; cut into shapes. Place on prepared baking sheets 2” apart.
- Bake until puffed and set, 10 to 15 minutes, depending on size. Let sit on sheets 2 minutes before removing to wire racks. Cool completely before decorating as desired. Cookies will keep, tightly covered, for 2 weeks, or frozen for 2 months.