Gingery Apple Pie
Candied ginger added to the crust of this pie makes this classic dessert something special.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 4 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 2 1⁄4 cups plus 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 tsp. finely chopped candied ginger
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 3 lbs. Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced 1⁄4 inch thick
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar, divided
- 1⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cloves
- 2 Tbsp. raisins
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg
- In a bowl, sift together 2 cups flour and the salt. Add the shortening and, using a pastry blender, cut in until the mixture is the consistency of coarse sand. Stir in candied ginger. In a small bowl, combine 1⁄4 cup flour with the water to make a paste. Add quickly to the flour-shortening mixture and lightly mix with a fork. Shape the dough into a ball. Cover and chill at least 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the apple slices and the lemon juice and toss to coat. In a bowl, stir together 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, remaining 3 tablespoons flour, lemon zest, cinnamon, cloves, and raisins. Sprinkle the mixture over the apples, and toss well to combine.
- To assemble the pie, divide the pie dough in half. Wrap one half in plastic wrap and refrigerate. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the other half into a 12-inch round. Transfer to a 9-inch pie plate. Trim the edges so they are even with the edge of the plate. Spoon the filling into the pie shell, spreading it evenly. Refrigerate while you prepare the top crust.
- Take the remaining dough from the refrigerator and prepare a lightly floured work surface Shape the dough into a rough square. Roll out the dough into a 9-by-12-inch rectangle. Using a fluted pastry wheel or chef’s knife, cut the dough the short way into 24 strips, each measuring 1⁄2 inch wide and 9 inches long. Arrange 12 of the strips, 1⁄4 inch apart, on a floured baking sheet.
- Beginning from the top left strip, fold every other strip in half, back toward you. Place one of the reserved strips of dough horizontally across the unfolded strips, just above the fold. Unfold the strips away from you, back to their original position, over the horizontal strip. Now beginning with the top strip, second from the left, fold back every other strip again. Insert another horizontal strip and unfold the vertical strips again. Repeat this process until you have inserted 6 horizontal strips to the top of the pan. Rotate the pan 180 degrees and repeat the process on the other side. Place the sheet with the lattice top on it in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl or cup, whisk together the egg and about 1 tablespoon water. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Remove the pie and the lattice top from the refrigerator. Brush the rim of the bottom crust with the egg wash. Gently slide the lattice top over the apple filling. Press the edge of the lattice against the edge of the bottom crust and cut away excess dough. Flute the edge of the crust as desired. Brush the lattice with egg wash and sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoons granulated sugar.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbling. Let cool on a rack before cutting.