Glazed Cake-Mix Doughnuts
Doughnuts are a treat, but homemade doughnuts are a slice of heaven. If you’ve never had a homemade doughnut, make sure you change that right away. With a recipe this easy there’s no excuse not to!
Serves: 24Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 2 hours 5 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 Tbsp. yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 box (18.25 oz.) white cake mix
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- Whisk milk and vanilla in a saucepan over low heat. Sift in confectioners’ sugar. Remove from heat and submerge pan in a bowl of warm water to keep glaze from hardening.
- In a large bowl, mix yeast and warm water until yeast is dissolved. Add cake mix and flour. Mix with spoon to make a soft dough. Set aside for 1 hour so dough can rise.
- With a floured pin, roll dough out onto a flat surface. Cut with a floured biscuit cutter. Remove to flat board or cookie sheet for 30–45 minutes to rise.
- Fry doughnuts in 2" of vegetable oil or in mini-deep fryer. If using a skillet, fry doughnuts on each side and remove with a slotted spoon. If using a deep fryer, follow manufacturer’s instructions.
- Set fried doughnuts on a paper towel to drain and cool slightly. Glaze doughnuts before they cool completely. Serve warm.