Gluten-Free Apple Brown Betty
In the early days of the United States, no food went to waste. Thus, stale bread was made into a delicious, homey baked pudding. You can achieve the same goal with this recipe!
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 large tart apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- Juice of 1⁄2 lemon
- 2 cups crumbled gluten-free bread
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground cloves
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Liberally butter a 2-quart casserole dish or prepare it with nonstick spray.
- Put the apples in the casserole dish and sprinkle with lemon juice. Add the bread cubes. Mix well.
- In a bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, vanilla, spices, salt, and brown sugar. Add mixture to the apple mixture. Dot with butter.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until brown on top and very moist inside.