Gluten-Free Apple-Oatmeal Bars
These delicious bars have a satisfying texture that is both crunchy and chewy. They are great for an on-the-go breakfast, a lunchbox treat or afternoon snack.
Serves: 9Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3⁄4 cup brown rice flour
- 3⁄4 cup arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 3 small apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together brown rice flour, arrowroot starch, baking powder, salt, rolled oats, and brown sugar. Add the cold butter and cut it into the oat mixture with a pastry blender until it is the size of peas. Mix with a fork until it forms a crumbly dough. Press half of the mixture into the bottom of the baking dish. Reserve the remaining mixture and set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, mix together the chopped apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, granulated sugar, and honey. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes, until the sugar is completely dissolved and the apples are soft. Pour the apple mixture over the oat mixture in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle and gently press the remaining oat mixture evenly over the apples.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the top of the bars are golden-brown. Allow bars to cool completely before cutting into 9 squares.