Gluten-Free Apple-Oatmeal Bars
These delicious bars have a satisfying texture that is both crunchy and chewy. They are great for an on-the-go breakfast, a lunchbox treat or afternoon snack.
Serves: 9Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¾ cup brown rice flour
- ¾ cup arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1½ cups gluten-free rolled oats
- ⅓ cup brown sugar, packed
- ¾ cup butter
- 3 small apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8" × 8" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together brown rice flour, arrowroot starch, baking powder, salt, rolled oats, and brown sugar. Add the cold butter and cut it into the oat mixture with a pastry blender until it is the size of peas. Mix with a fork until it forms a crumbly dough. Press half of the mixture into the bottom of the baking dish. Reserve the remaining mixture and set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, mix together the chopped apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, granulated sugar, and honey. Cook for 8–10 minutes, stirring every few minutes, until the sugar is completely dissolved and the apples are soft. Pour the apple mixture over the oat mixture in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle and gently press the remaining oat mixture evenly over the apples.
- Bake for 30–40 minutes, or until the top of the bars are golden-brown. Allow bars to cool completely before cutting into 9 squares.