Gluten-Free Apple Pie with Pecans
This gluten-free version of classic apple pie contains the added texture and rich flavor of chopped pecans. With this recipe, you can make the gluten-free crust, apple filling, and crumble topping. Delicious on its own or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1½ cups sorghum flour
- 1½ cups arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. xanthan gum
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 7 medium apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. grated lemon zest
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup brown rice flour
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- 1 large egg white
- 2 Tbsp. cold water
- For the pie crust: In a large bowl, whisk together sorghum flour, arrowroot starch, salt, and xanthan gum. Using a pastry blender or a knife and fork, cut in shortening throughout the flour until it resembles small peas. Make a well in the center of the flour and add the eggs and 2 tablespoons ice-cold water. Mix with a fork until the dough gathers up into a ball. Dived the dough into to 2 equal balls, shape into round disks, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Roll out dough into 2 circles (11") on a flat surface liberally dusted with sorghum flour. Transfer one circle an 8" pie plate. Leave an inch of dough hanging beyond the rim of the pan. Cut off any extra dough, fold the edge under itself, and crimp the edges with your fingers.
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add zest, brown sugar, brown rice flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and chopped pecans. Toss to combine and pour apple filling into the prepared pie shell.
- Top pie with the remaining circle of dough. Cut 4 vents in the top crust for steam to escape. Trim overhanging dough and crimp edges together. Cover the pie with aluminum foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg white with water. Carefully remove pie from the oven, remove foil, and brush the top crust lightly with the egg mixture.
- Place pie back in the oven and bake for an additional 25–30 minutes until the crust is golden-brown. Allow to cool completely before slicing.