Gluten-Free Apple Spice Bread
Applesauce and fresh apple combine in this delicious recipe to make a quick bread that is perfect for breakfast on-the-go or an after-school treat.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 3⁄4 cup arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground allspice
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored, and grated
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sorghum flour, arrowroot starch, xanthan gum, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cardamom, baking powder, and baking soda; mix well.
- In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, eggs, oil, vanilla, applesauce, apple, and raisins; mix well. Add to dry ingredients and stir until just mixed. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until deep golden-brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes; remove to wire rack to cool completely.