Gluten-Free Apple-Walnut Spice Muffins
These gluten-free muffins are filled with warm spices, chunks of apple, and chopped walnuts that capture the flavors and aromas of autumn.
Serves: 24Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1½ cups sorghum flour
- 1½ cups arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground cloves
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1½ cups olive oil
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1½ lbs. (5 medium) apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 standard muffin tins with 24 paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, arrowroot starch, xanthan gum, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Fold in chopped apples and nuts. Fill paper liners ⅔ full of batter.
- Bake for 25–30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of muffins comes out clean and the tops are a light golden-brown. Cool for 5 minutes in the pan and then turn out muffins to cool completely on wire racks.