Gluten-Free Baking Mix Carrot Cupcakes
Hearty and delicious, carrot cupcakes are easy enough for dessert on a weeknight, but special enough to serve after a holiday dinner.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup gluten-free pancake and baking mix
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- ⅓ cup plus 2 Tbsp. almond milk
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1½ cups grated carrots
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 4 oz. butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a standard muffin pan with paper liners. Lightly spritz non-stick cooking spray into each liner and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together baking mix, cinnamon, and granulated sugar. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla, almond milk, olive oil, and applesauce. Whisk wet ingredients into dry ingredients until you have a lump-free cake batter. Fold in grated carrots and chopped walnuts.
- Fill each paper liner ¾ full with cake batter.
- Bake cupcakes for 12–15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
- In a medium bowl, cream together cream cheese, butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in confectioners’ sugar. If too thick, add cold water 1 tsp. at a time until the frosting is light and creamy. Frost cupcakes.