Gluten-Free Banana Cake
Serve this gluten-free banana cake as it is for breakfast or brunch or for a special occasion decorated with thick, rich cream cheese frosting. The cake is moist cake and will stays fresh in an airtight container for days on the counter or wrapped in a double layer of plastic wrap and frozen for 2 months.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 2 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 cup plus 1 Tbsp. softened unsalted butter, divided
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups sorghum flour
- 1⁄4 cup arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. espresso powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 large overripe bananas, mashed (about 2 cups)
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Set rack to the middle position. Grease 2 round cake pans (8 inches) with 1 Tbsp. butter, line bottom with parchment paper, and then grease parchment with butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the brown rice flour, sorghum flour, arrowroot starch, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, espresso powder, ground cinnamon, and salt. In another large mixing bowl, or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the remaining 1⁄2 cup softened butter with the granulated sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in vanilla, mashed bananas, and sour cream until well-combined. Pour the banana mixture into the creamed butter-sugar mixture, and beat until well blended. With the mixer running on low speed, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. With a rubber spatula, fold in the walnuts.
- Pour cake batter into prepared pan, leveling the top with a rubber spatula.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. The cake will also release from the edges of the pan, and the top may begin to crack slightly. Remove from oven. Cool for 15 minutes before removing from pans. Cool completely on wire rack before serving.