Gluten-Free Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry
Ordering in Chinese food can be difficult when you are on a gluten-free diet. But you can still make some of your favorite recipes at home, and it really doesn’t take very long. Serve this stir-fry with white or brown rice.
Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 50 minutes
- 1¼ cups cold water, divided
- ½ cup gluten-free soy sauce, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 lb. stir-fry beef (or boneless round steak, cut into thin 3" strips)
- 2 Tbsp. peanut oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1½ tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup chopped peanuts
- In a glass bowl, whisk together ¼ cup water, ¼ cup soy sauce, minced garlic, and black pepper. Add beef and marinate for 30 minutes.
- In a large frying pan or wok, heat peanut oil over medium-high heat. Add beef and marinade and stir-fry until meat is no longer pink, about 3–5 minutes.
- Add onion and bell pepper. Stir-fry for another 2 minutes. Add broccoli and continue stirring and frying for an additional minute.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 cup cold water, ¼ cup soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, and cornstarch. Pour this mixture over the beef and broccoli mixture, and cook until sauce thickens, about 2–3 more minutes.
- Sprinkle with peanuts before serving.