Gluten-Free Beef Empanadas
Use a gluten-free pancake and baking mix to make the dough for these savory Latin American stuffed pastries. Roll into circles and fill with a mixture of cooked ground beef, onion, garlic, and red pepper and bake until golden.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ lb. ground beef
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp. cold water
- ½ packet (1 Tbsp.) gluten-free taco seasoning
- 2 cups plus 2 Tbsp. gluten-free pancake and baking mix
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a heavy skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add ground beef, onions, bell pepper, and garlic and cook stirring, for 5–6 minutes, or until the onions are softened and beef is cooked through. Stir in the taco seasoning and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, make an egg wash by whisking together the egg and cold water.
- In a medium bowl vigorously stir together the baking mix and boiling water until you have a stiff dough. Divide the dough into 4 even pieces. Dust a flat surface with 2 tablespoons gluten-free pancake and baking mix and roll each piece of dough into a 6" circle. Add ¼ cup of ground beef mixture on one side of each circle of dough. Fold the rest of the dough over the filling and press together the edges of the calzones with a fork to seal them.
- Place calzones on baking sheet and brush with egg wash.
- Bake for 15–20 minutes until the calzones are golden-brown. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.