Gluten-Free Biscuit-Topped Chicken Pie
Pure comfort food! This creamy chicken and vegetable pie is topped with drop biscuits. To make the pie extra rich, drizzle a few tablespoons of melted butter over the biscuit topping right before cooking.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 8 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups Bisquick gluten-free baking mix
- ⅓ cup vegetable shortening
- 1⅔ cups whole milk, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 4 Tbsp. brown rice flour
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup gluten-free chicken broth
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, cut or torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 can (12 oz.) mixed vegetables, drained
- Place baking mix in a medium bowl. Cut shortening into mix with a fork until the mixture forms clumps the size of small peas. Stir in ⅔ cup milk and eggs. Mix until a soft dough forms. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, whisk together flour and butter. When butter has melted, slowly stir in remaining milk, chicken broth, salt, and pepper. Cook on medium heat for 5–10 minutes, whisking constantly until mixture is thick, with a gravy consistency.
- Add chicken and vegetables to a greased 4-quart slow cooker. Pour cream soup mixture into the slow cooker and mix with chicken and vegetables.
- Using an ice cream scoop, drop biscuit dough over chicken, vegetables, and sauce.
- Cover slow cooker and vent lid with a chopstick. Cook on low for 8 hours until chicken sauce is bubbling up around the biscuits, and the biscuits are cooked through.