Gluten-Free Biscuit-Topped Chicken Pie
Pure comfort food! This creamy chicken and vegetable pie is topped with drop biscuits. To make the pie extra rich, drizzle a few tablespoons of melted butter over the biscuit topping right before cooking.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 8 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups Bisquick gluten-free baking mix
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 2⁄3 cups whole milk, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 4 Tbsp. brown rice flour
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup gluten-free chicken broth
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, cut or torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 can (12 oz.) mixed vegetables, drained
- Place baking mix in a medium bowl. Cut shortening into mix with a fork until the mixture forms clumps the size of small peas. Stir in 2⁄3 cup milk and eggs. Mix until a soft dough forms. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, whisk together flour and butter. When butter has melted, slowly stir in remaining milk, chicken broth, salt, and pepper. Cook on medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes, whisking constantly until mixture is thick, with a gravy consistency.
- Add chicken and vegetables to a greased 4-quart slow cooker. Pour cream soup mixture into the slow cooker and mix with chicken and vegetables.
- Using an ice cream scoop, drop biscuit dough over chicken, vegetables, and sauce.
- Cover slow cooker and vent lid with a chopstick. Cook on low for 8 hours until chicken sauce is bubbling up around the biscuits, and the biscuits are cooked through.