Gluten-Free Blueberry Breakfast Cake
This moist, buttery blueberry cake with a zing of lemon is utterly divine! It uses gluten-free all-purpose flour, so you don’t have to keep a stock of gluten-free flours in your pantry.
Serves: 9Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar, plus 1 Tbsp. for topping
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 cups frozen Maine blueberries, thawed
- 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8" × 8" square pan with butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the lemon zest, egg, and vanilla and beat for 1 minute.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients alternately with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. The batter will be thick.
- Gently fold in the blueberries. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 40–50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool slightly, then dust with powdered sugar.