Gluten-Free Brown Sugar-Walnut Coffee Cake Bars
This delicious, lightly sweetened yellow cake with a topping made with brown sugar and walnuts topping is a wonderful (and quick) dessert.
Serves: 9Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ cup plus 2 Tbsp. brown rice flour, divided
- ½ cup arrowroot starch
- ½ tsp. xanthan gum
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. brown rice flour
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 Tbsp. butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease an 8" × 8" baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together ½ cup brown rice flour, arrowroot starch, xanthan gum, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and mix together egg, melted butter, almond milk, and vanilla extract. Stir into the dry ingredients and mix together into a thick cake batter. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together cinnamon, brown sugar, remaining rice flour, walnuts, and softened butter into a crumbly mixture. Evenly sprinkle the topping over the cake.
- Bake 20–25 minutes until the cake is golden-brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.