Gluten-Free Browned Butter-Glazed Spice Doughnuts
These muffins are delicious, moist, and tasty. They use applesauce in place of some of the fat, upping the nutritional quality of this treat.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tsp. plus 1⁄4 cup melted unsalted butter, divided
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly grease a doughnut pan.
- In a small bowl, stir together the buttermilk, egg, and 2 tsp. butter. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt. Add the wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir until fully mixed.
- Spoon the batter into a large resealable bag and cut a corner. Squeeze the batter into the wells of the doughnut pan until they’re 3⁄4 full. Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool in the pan on top of the oven for a few minutes before removing.
- Pour remaining 1⁄4 cup melted butter into a bowl and add confectioners' sugar, milk, and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth.
- Dip each doughnut in the glaze and set on a plate until the glaze has set.