Gluten-Free Buttermilk Biscuits
Light handling is the secret to making these fluffy, flaky biscuits! They’re great served with your favorite jam, or topped with sausage gravy.
Serves: 15Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. salt
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the shortening and use a pastry blender or two knives to cut the shortening into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. You do not want big chunks of shortening.
- Add the buttermilk and stir to combine.
- Knead the dough 10–20 times on a lightly floured surface and roll it out until it’s about ½" thick. Don’t over-handle the dough.
- Use a biscuit cutter to cut into 3" circles and place them in an ungreased 9" × 13" baking pan. It is okay if they touch slightly, but don’t crowd the pan.
- Bake for 10–15 minutes or until golden brown on top; serve warm.