Gluten-Free Carrot Cake with Lactose-Free Cream Cheese Frosting
This cake with velvety lactose-free frosting will have you loving cake in a new way.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 1⁄3 cups packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp. almond meal
- 3 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 4 cups shredded carrots
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1⁄4 cup lactose-free margarine
- 2⁄3 cup lactose-free cream cheese
- 1 1⁄2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Using a stand mixer, mix together oil, sugar, and eggs. Add almond meal, flour, carrots, baking soda, and allspice. Mix on low speed until fully combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake on middle rack for 70 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack 20 minutes.
- Clean bowl of electric mixer. Add margarine, cream cheese, and lemon juice. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar. Spread on top of cooled carrot cake.