Gluten-Free Carrot Muffins with Cream Cheese Frosting
Mornings are much easier when you’re greeted by carrot muffins with cream cheese frosting.
Serves: 12Prep: 15 minutesCook: 25 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 1⁄2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cloves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, grated
- 1 package (4 oz.) cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a muffin pan, or line the pan with muffin papers. In a medium bowl, whisk together the gluten-free flour and xanthan gum. Add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, water, oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla and ginger. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, then add the grated carrots and stir until combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, filling the muffin cups almost to the top. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove the muffins from the oven and let them cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring them to a rack to finish cooling completely.
- Beat the cream cheese and butter together, occasionally scraping down the sides. Add powdered sugar and remaining vanilla and beat slowly until creamy. Frost cooled muffins.
- Refrigerate leftovers.