Gluten-Free Cheese Strata
This overnight breakfast casserole is perfect for holiday brunches or other festive morning occasions.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 9 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- 10 slices gluten-free white bread, crusts removed
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp. chopped yellow onion
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- In a small bowl, mix together the butter, dry mustard, and garlic. Spread on the bread slices. Cut the bread slices into thirds.
- Line the bottom and sides of an ungreased 9-by-13-inch baking dish with buttered bread thirds, buttered sides down.
- In a large bowl, mix together the Cheddar cheese, onion, salt, and pepper. Spread evenly over the bread. Top with the remaining bread slices, buttered sides up.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and stir in the milk, and then pour over the bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, heat the oven to 325°F. Bake the strata uncovered for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until puffed and golden brown on top. Let cool for 10 to 15 minutes before cutting. (The casserole will fall in the middle.)