Gluten-Free Cherry Oat Crisp
This gluten-free cherry-oat crisp with its buttery-rich crust, sweet fruit filling, and crumbly topping resembles a crumble-topped pie. Do not use cherry pie filling for this recipe, however frozen or canned and drained cherries would be fine.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄4 cup brown rice flour, divided
- 1⁄4 tsp. sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 13 Tbsp. softened butter, divided
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup cherry juice blend
- 4 cups pitted fresh cherries
- 1 1⁄2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a medium baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix together 1 cup brown rice flour, salt, and 1⁄4 cup brown sugar. Cut in 8 tablespoons butter with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Press crust mixture into the bottom of the baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes and remove from oven.
- In a small saucepan over high heat, whisk together granulated sugar, cornstarch, and juice and cook, stirring constantly, until boiling. Boil for 1 minute. The mixture will turn translucent and thicken. Off heat, stir in cherries and pour over the baked crust.
- In another small bowl, whisk together oats, 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, and 1⁄4 cup brown rice flour. Add 5 tablespoons butter and mix with your hands until crumbly. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the cherry filling.
- Place baking dish on a baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes, or until crispy topping is golden-brown and cherry filling is bubbling around the edges.