Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake
On a vegan, gluten-free diet, chocolate cake doesn’t have to be a thing of the past! This recipe will satisfy your craving.
Serves: 9Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄2 cup plus 3 Tbsp. soy milk, divided
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- Egg replacement equal to 1 egg, prepared
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups sorghum flour
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water, boiling
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄4 cup vegan margarine, softened
- 4 cups gluten-free powdered sugar, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine 1⁄2 cup soy milk and vinegar in a small bowl. Allow to sit for 10 minutes, then add oil, egg replacement, and vanilla extract. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sorghum flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, salt, 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder, and sugar. Add to wet ingredients in 2 or 3 batches, mixing well between additions. Add boiling water and beat until smooth.
- Pour batter into a lightly greased 8-by-8-inch baking pan and bake for 40 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake.
- To making frosting, beat shortening, margarine, and 2 cups powdered sugar on medium speed in a large bowl until smooth. Add remaining 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder, remaining 3 tablespoons soy creamer, and powdered sugar and continue to beat until fluffy.
- When the cake has cooled completely, frost and serve.