Gluten-Free Chocolate-Mint Cheesecake with Chocolate-Nut Crust
This gluten-free cheesecake gets its fabulous flavor from melting semisweet chocolate with peppermint schnapps and then blending it into a rich cream cheese mixture. This gets poured over a chocolate-walnut crust and chilled.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 3 hours 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1½ cups ground walnuts
- 1¾ cup sugar, divided
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 8 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped and divided
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 Tbsp. peppermint schnapps
- 3 packages (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp. salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9" springform pan with non-stick cooking spray. Line the bottom with parchment paper and spray again.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt 4 ounces chocolate at 50% power for 30 seconds. Stir and continue heating and stirring at 15 second intervals until the chocolate is completely smooth when stirred with a spoon, about 2 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix the ground walnuts, ½ cup sugar, butter, and the melted chocolate. Press the mixture into the edges and bottom of the springform pan to make a crust. Bake for 12 minutes, or until browned around the edges. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff. Set aside.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, heat the remaining 4 ounces chocolate with the schnapps at 50% power for 30 seconds. Stir and continue heating and stirring at 15 second intervals until the chocolate is completely smooth when stirred with a spoon, about 2 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese, sour cream, remaining sugar, vanilla, arrowroot starch, and salt and well-mixed. With the motor running, add the egg yolks one at a time, beating vigorously. Fold in the stiff egg whites.
- Pour into the springform pan. Add the melted chocolate and schnapps mixture and swirl it into the cream cheese mixture with a knife. Bake for 1 hour. Turn off the oven, and with the door cracked, let the cake cool for another hour.
- Chill for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator. Remove from pan before serving.