Gluten-Free Classic Corn Bread
Traditionally made with bacon drippings in a cast-iron skillet, this sweeter version of corn bread is made with butter and baked in the oven. It is delicious with butter. Also try topping it with honey or molasses for a yummy treat.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1¾ cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1¼ cups whole milk
- ½ cup melted butter, cooled
- 1 large egg, gently beaten
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter a 9" × 9" baking pan or round 9" cake pan.
- In a large bowl, blend the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, butter, and egg. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20–25 minutes or until the edges begin to pull away from the sides of the pan and it’s beginning to brown on top. Allow the corn bread to cool 5–10 minutes before cutting, and serve warm.