Gluten-Free Coconut Cake with Coconut Frosting
Bake, frost, and serve this gluten-free version of classic southern coconut cake in a 13" × 9" baking dish.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 3 hours 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1½ cups brown rice flour
- ¾ cup arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup light coconut milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. coconut extract
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp. coconut extract
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ coconut milk
- 2 cups sweetened coconut, finely shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 13" × 9" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together rice flour, arrowroot starch, xanthan gum, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter until fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add the flour mixture, milk, vanilla, and coconut extract. Increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes. Add egg whites and beat 2 minutes longer. Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
- Bake 35–40 minutes, or until cake begins to pull away from edges and is light golden-brown. Cool cake in the pan completely on wire rack.
- For the frosting: In a large bowl, cream softened butter, coconut extract, confectioners’ sugar, and coconut milk. Frost the top of the cake and sprinkle shredded coconut evenly over top. Chill cake 3 hours before serving.