Gluten-Free Cream Cheese and Raspberry Danish
Make a gluten-free dough, form it into individual pastries, and fill them with dollops of cream cheese filling and raspberry jam. Drizzle the baked pastries with a non-dairy glaze made with confectioners’ sugar and almond milk.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1 cup arrowroot starch
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum
- 3½ Tbsp. granulated sugar, divided
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅓ cup butter
- ⅔ cup plus 2 Tbsp. almond milk, divided
- ½ tsp. almond extract
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup raspberry jam
- 1½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sorghum flour, arrowroot starch, baking powder, xanthan gum, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until it resembles very small peas throughout the dry ingredients. Make a well in the center and stir in ⅔ cup almond milk and almond extract until you have a thick, workable dough.
- Divide the dough into 12 balls. Place the balls of dough about 1" apart on the baking sheet. Using a heavy glass, gently flatten each ball. Using a spoon, make a round indentation in the center of the dough.
- In a small bowl, mix together cream cheese, 1½ tablespoons granulated sugar, and 1 tablespoon almond milk. Fill indentations with a teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture. Top the cream cheese with a teaspoon of raspberry jam.
- Bake for 10–12 minutes, until lightly browned along the edges. Allow pastries to cool on the baking sheet for 15–20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together confectioners’ sugar and remaining tablespoon almond milk. Drizzle over cooled pastries.