Gluten-Free Dark Chocolate Molten Lava Cake
This gluten-free version of this popular, elegant dessert is actually very easy to make. Melt chocolate and butter and mix it into an eggy batter. Most of the work can be done by a stand mixer or hand mixer. Serve hot for the chocolate lava to flow.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3⁄4 cup plus 8 tsp. butter, divided
- 1⁄3 cup plus 8 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 8 oz. semisweet baking chocolate, chopped
- 6 oz. unsalted butter
- 3 large whole eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp. arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Prepare the insides of 8 ramekins (6 oz.) by greasing with 1 teaspoon butter and coating with 1 tablespoon sugar each. Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a small heavy saucepan over low heat, heat chocolate and remaining butter, stirring constantly, until melted, about 2 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, beat the eggs, egg yolks, 1⁄3 cup sugar, arrowroot starch, and vanilla for about 5 minutes, scraping the side of bowl, as needed. Reduce speed and add the chocolate mixture by the tablespoonful until the eggs have incorporated some of the chocolate. Turn off the mixer and fold in the rest of the chocolate-butter mixture with a rubber spatula.
- Divide the mixture into the custard cups. Place the cups on a baking sheet and bake for 12 to 13 minutes, until the sides are puffed and the center is very soft. Serve hot.