Gluten-Free Date-Walnut Pinwheel Cookies
You’ll really hone your baking techniques when you make this gluten-free version of this classic refrigerator cookie. Roll out balls of dough, spread with a homemade fig-and-walnut jam, roll into a log and chill before slicing and baking. The delicious cookies are well worth the effort! Serve them warm from the oven.
Makes: 36 cookiesHands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 8 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
Makes: 36 cookies
- ½ cup pitted chopped dates
- ½ cup hot water
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup finely chopped walnuts
- ½ cup Spectrum Organic Shortening, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- ¾ cup arrowroot starch
- ½ tsp. xanthan gum
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. cream of tartar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Combine dates, hot water, and granulated sugar in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat about 6–8 minutes, stirring constantly until mixture thickens to jam. Remove from heat and stir in walnuts. Set aside and cool completely.
- In a large bowl, cream together shortening and brown sugar. Stir in the egg and vanilla. In a smaller bowl, whisk together brown rice flour, arrowroot starch, xanthan gum, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. Slowly stir dry ingredients into the creamed sugar mixture.
- Divide dough into thirds and form into balls. Place a ball of dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper, flatten ball into a disc, and roll into a 12" square. Repeat with remaining balls of dough. Spread each square with ⅓ of the date-walnut mixture. Lifting up the edge of the parchment paper, gently peel it off of dough and roll into a log. Wrap logs in parchment paper and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- Set oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove parchment from chilled logs and cut into ¼" discs. Place 2" apart on baking sheets.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 8–10 minutes, turning baking sheet around halfway through, until the edges of the cookies are golden-brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool on the baking sheets for 10 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.