Gluten-Free Egg, Bacon, Gruyère, and Arugula Sandwich
The arugula brings this ordinary breakfast sandwich up a notch or three, making it a gourmet dish worthy of company.
Serves: 1Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 slices gluten-free bread
- 1 slice Gruyère cheese
- 1 tsp. mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 slices bacon, cooked
- 1⁄2 cup fresh arugula, washed and drained
- Preheat oven broiler to high. Place the bread on a sheet pan. Broil until golden brown on top, about 2 minutes; watch carefully so they don’t burn. Remove from the oven and flip the slices over. Place the Gruyère on top of one bread slice. Return the pan to the oven and broil until the plain bread slice is golden brown and the cheese is melted on the other slice, about 2 minutes. Remove and spread the plain bread slice with mayonnaise.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Fry the egg, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Assemble the sandwich by layering the egg on the cheese-topped bread slice. Then place the bacon slices on top. Add a handful of arugula on top and cover with the remaining bread slice. Cut in half and serve immediately.