Gluten-Free Focaccia Bread
This chewy and crunchy bread would also make an outstanding deep-dish pizza crust.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1½ cups brown rice flour
- ½ cup sorghum flour
- 2 cups arrowroot starch
- ⅔ cup blanched almond flour
- 1 Tbsp. xanthan gum
- 2 tsp. instant yeast
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1½ cups water, heated to 110°F
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely minced
- Line a 9" × 14" baking dish with parchment paper and grease with nonstick cooking spray or olive oil.
- In a large bowl whisk together brown rice flour, sorghum flour, arrowroot starch, almond flour, xanthan gum, yeast, and salt. In another bowl whisk together water, 3 tablespoons olive oil, and egg whites. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir together thoroughly into a stiff dough. Continue to mix as much as you can (it is a very stiff dough) for an additional 3–4 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to baking dish. Drizzle the dough with a little olive oil and then evenly spread dough over the entire baking dish. Cover the dough lightly with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place for about 35 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Gently poke the dough all over with your fingers so small wells appear in the dough. Drizzle with remaining olive oil.
- Bake for 20 minutes until focaccia is golden-brown and crispy. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then slice into squares and serve.