Gluten-Free French Silk Pie
This traditional French pie requires quite a few steps. You can take a shortcut and use boxed chocolate pudding, but you won’t enjoy it as much as this rich, velvety dessert.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 9 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 oz. dark chocolate, melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp. confectioners’ sugar
- 1 baked gluten-free pie shell
- In the top of a double boiler, whisk together the granulated sugar and eggs and cook over medium heat slowly for 3 to 5 minutes, until slightly thickened. Add chocolate and cook an additional 1–2 minutes until chocolate is completely melted into the mixture. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Set aside and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a medium, cream the butter until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add cooled chocolate mixture and continue to beat until light and fluffy, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat whipping cream until it begins to thicken, about 2 minutes. Add confectioners’ sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form, about 1 more minute. Fold whipped cream into the chocolate mixture. Pour into pie shell.
- Chill for at least 8 hours before slicing and serving.