Gluten-Free Fruitcake with Almonds and Dried Fruits
You could give these updated fruitcakes as gifts, but they’re so good you may want to keep them all for yourself! If you want to age the fruitcake, soak a cheesecloth in brandy or rum and wrap over the cake tightly. Place the cake in an airtight container, such as a metal tin, and every few days pour a few tablespoons of brandy or rum over the cake.
Serves: 24Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- ¾ cup raisins
- ¾ cup chopped dates
- ¾ cup chopped dried cherries
- ¾ cup chopped dried apples
- ¾ cup chopped dried apricots
- 1½ cups whole, blanched almonds
- ⅓ cup rum
- ⅓ cup Triple Sec liqueur
- 1 Tbsp. brandy
- ¼ cup apple juice
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp. grated orange zest
- 1⅓ cups brown rice flour
- 1⅓ cups arrowroot starch
- 1½ tsp. xanthan gum
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. cream of tartar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- ¼ tsp. ground allspice
- The day before baking the cake, in a large bowl mix together: raisins, dates, dried cherries, apples, dried apricots, almonds, rum, Triple Sec liqueur, Brandy, and apple juice; allow to sit for 24 hours.
- To make the cake, preheat oven to 325°F. Grease or line 3 (8½" × 4½") loaf pans with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddles attachment, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs and orange zest and beat until combined, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the brown rice flour, arrowroot starch, xanthan gum, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt, and spices.
- With the motor of the stand mixer on low, slowly add dry ingredients to the creamed sugar mixture, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Mix until combined thoroughly. Fold soaked fruits and nuts into cake batter. Spoon the batter into loaf pans.
- Bake for about 1 hour and 20 minutes until the top of the cake is golden-brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pans for 20 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. The cake can be eaten immediately.
- If you want to age the fruitcake, soak a cheesecloth in brandy or rum and wrap over the cake tightly. Place the cake in an airtight container, such as a metal tin, and every few days pour a few tablespoons of brandy or rum over the cake.