Gluten-Free Ham and Swiss Strata
This strata incorporates spinach for a nutritional punch. Try substituting Gruyère cheese for half the Swiss for extra flavor.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 5 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 8 oz. grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 bag (10 oz.) baby spinach
- 3 cups diced cooked ham
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 5 cups cubed day-old gluten-free bread
- 8 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- In a large frying pan, melt the butter over medium heat and add the tomatoes and spinach. Sauté until spinach is wilted, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- In a buttered 9-by-13-inch baking dish, layer the bread, ham, spinach mixture, and half the cheeses.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and dry mustard. Pour evenly over the casserole. Top with the remaining cheese. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- The next morning, heat the oven to 325°F and bring the strata to room temperature. Bake covered for 30 minutes. Uncover and cook an additional 35 to 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the eggs are set. Let it set for 10–15 minutes before serving.